Want a higher protein, healthy hot chocolate recipe? Adding skimmed milk powder adds more protein to every mug. When you combine the milk powder with the high protein milk, the result is impressive. This delicious drink provides 19 grams of protein in each mug and just 209 calories. Very similar to a protein bar but more refreshing (protein bars usually provide 200 calories and 20g protein)! Perfect for an after exercise option, especially in winter. As honey is high in fructose, it’s natually super sweet. 1 tsp goes a long way! If intolerant to fructose, try maple or gold syrup instead. And, if intolerant to lactose try lactose free cow’s milk or soya milk instead.
- High protein milk, 250 mL
- Cocoa, 2 tsp
- Skimmed milk powder, 1 tbsp (can use chocolate protein powder either or omit completely)
- Honey, 1 tsp, if required.
How to make it
- Simply heat some milk in a saucepan on the hob. While stirring, add in some skimmed milk powder (available in supermarkets), cocoa (the kind you use in baking) and a tsp of honey!
- This will also provide your body with protein, calcium and many other nutrients associated with muscle, bone and overall health! Enjoy!
- Do I need to add the honey? Nope, you don’t. Esepcially if you don’t want it to be too sweet and/ or if you’ve used protein powder.
- What is the healthiest drink to drink? The answer to this is usually water. However, milk is more hydrating than water. If you’ve just completed some exercise, consuming the drink in the evening time or as a snack, then you could argue that milk is a better choice as it offers up some protein!
- Which health drink is best for health? Most health drinks are gimmics and include simply water and sugar or water and artifical sweeteners. Water, tea, coffee and milk are healthy choices. This recipe aims to add in more protein without adding in much sugar, while helping curb sugar cravings and satisfying your need for something yummy.
- What is the best drink for a diet? Water, tea and coffee from a calorie point of view but don’t forget your need for protein! Protein helps us to feel full and stay full. In other words, it helps with satiety.
- What protein powder is best? The protein powder that is best to use, in terms of stimulating your muscles to grow and repair, is whey protein powder.