Introducing my new favourite recipe… Pepper and Smoked Almond Pasta. This is a quick and easy recipe that’s ideal for times when you’re in a rush. This meal is vegetarian, so if you follow a Meat Free Monday tradition in your house, or are giving Veganuary a go, then this meal may suit your needs.
The inspiration came to me when waiting in line to buy a salad and a chef was was on the telly behind the counter explaining how to make a red pepper, roasted hazlenut, chilli pesto dipping sauce.
All in all, it’s an affordable option that provides a balance of plant proteins, mediterranean style fats and oodles of fibre and flavour. Enjoy!
- Lentil pasta e.g. 200g*
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- A jar of red peppers (drain & rinse)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 handful of smoked almonds
- 1 tsp oregano
You can use fresh pasta for speed (3 mins to cook) or regular pasta if it’s closer to hand.
How to make it
- Cook your pasta as per the instructions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, drain a jar of roasted red peppers. Blend them with 1 tbsp olive oil (unless the peppers were already in oil in the jar), 2 cloves of garlic, 1 handful of smoked almonds and a tsp of dried oregano.
- Heat the pepper and smoked almond mixture in a frying pan. Once the pasta is cooked, throw the contents of the frying pan in on top of the pasta and mix everything together.
- If using regular pasta rather than the lentil option, sprinkle on some cheese to help meet the 20 grams of protein that most people need at a meal. Or you could just sprinkle the cheese on top because it tastes so good! 🙂