This is a family favourite. It’s deliciously sweet with nutty vibes. I try and cook a vegetarian meal twice a week, so you’ll see I’ve added paneer for protein. My kids love it! And, it lasts in the fridge for yonks so is a handy option. Should you wish to use meat, I’d recommend skinned chicken thighs. You can buy them deboned too, which is very convenient. I use thigh meat a fair bit as it contains more iron than the breast. Young kids are at risk of iron deficiency, and women who menstruate. A 2023 study fround iron defifiency in over 38% of female aged 12 to 20 years old. Considering this age group can rely heavily on chicken, this will help add a touch more iron into their diets.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 gloves garlic, crush
- 3 cm fresh ginger, skinned and finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp chinese 5 spice
- 3 dsp peanut butter
- 800g bag of sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into wedges.
- A 400ml can of coconut milk (see adaptation if youve cholesterol over 5!)
- 1 tin of butter beans, drain & rinse them
- 1 block of paneer, cubed
How to make it
- Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker, except the butter beans and paneer.
- I put it on low and then ignore it till I’m home from work (or I cook it overnight).
- Before you go to eat it, and while cooking your rice, add in the butter beans and paneer. Heat up and serve!
A few notes
- You may not wish to eat this with rice as the sweet potato and butter beans offer up enough carbohydrate for some people. Up to you! For those eating it with rice, it is quite filling so you may need half of your usual rice portion.
- If you have high cholesterol, consider not using coconut milk. Instead, you may wish to try 200g of greek yoghurt, quark, skyr or natural yoghurt with 1 tsp of cornflour mixed through it. However, if you wish to use coconut milk, consider the reduced fat one.
- This freezes well, so batch cooking this dinner is an option!
- If you wish to use chicken, I suggest buying skinned and deboned chicken thighs. You’ll need about 600 grams. Add it in at the start.