This is an easy, quick recipe. Nearly every ingredient has been shown to lower cholesterol in clinical studies. To lower cholesterol with food we need to regularly add certain foods into our diet e.g. soya, oats and flaxseed (aka linseed). Pair these delicious scones with almond butter and chia jam and you have added 2 more cholesterol lowering foods into the mix. Depiste all the hype on the benefits of other herbs and spices, cinnamon has shown fairly consistent results over the years too. It may be small but it is mighty!
This recipe is high in fibre, and plant-based. So if following an exclusively plant-based diet or vegan lifestyle, this one is for you. Soya is a high quality plant protein and may be beneficial for those in peri-menopause and menopause. It has been linked to lower bone fractures so a healthy choice for those with osteoporosis.
- 1 large pot soya yoghurt
- 2 pots of oats
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp linseed/ flaxseed
- +/- 2 tsp cinnamon
How to make them
- Pour the soya yoghurt into a bowl.
- Fill that now empty yoghurt pot with oats. Pour the oats into the bowl. Repeat the process so there is 2 pots of oats and 1 pot of soy yoghurt in the bowl.
- Now add the salt, baking powder, cinnamon (if you want to add it) and flaxseed/ linseed. Mix together it altogether.
- Take a handful of mixture, roll into a ball and place on a greased baking sheet. This recipe produces about 10 scones.
- Bake in a preheated oven (175 degrees C) for 40 min.
- To make this recipe even more cholesterol lowering, layer with almond butter and top with chia seed jam.