This dinner is delicious. It’s one of my favourites. It’s near impossible to get a social-media-ready photo of it! However, I promise it won’t disappoint in the taste department. It’s a great way to get almonds into your diet which have been shown to have cholesterol lowering properties. I find it helpful to mix basmati rice with cauliflower rice in order to up my kids veg intake (without them knowing!). Rice is lower in fibre than other grains so the addition of cauliflower rice to it bumps up the fibre offering.
- 1 onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- 4 cloves
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts or 900g (large packet – doesn’t have to be exact) chicken legs/thighs (remove skin)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli (optional – can add dried chilli flakes at the end for anyone who likes chilli)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 dessert spoons ground almond
- 3 apples thinly sliced
- 1/2 large tub (250g) natural yoghurt or natural greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Flaked almonds
- Serve with rice (+/- cauliflower rice)
How to make it
- Fry 1 onion with 2 bay leaves, 1/2 stick cinnamon and 4 cloves in 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil until soft and translucent.
- Add 900g packet of chicken legs (remove the skin) and brown on both sides (chicken breasts chopped into bite size pieces work well too)
- Lower the heat and add the garam masala, chilli, crushed garlic and ginger.
- Season with pepper and add 3 dessert spoons of ground almonds. Continue to cook for about 3 mins.
- Add 2 tsp corn flour to a bowl and mix with some water. Then add the yoghurt on top.
- Now add in the yoghurt and 3 sliced apples as well as 1 tbsp fresh coriander (could use 1 tsp of dried).
- Cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with flaked almonds and some more fresh coriander if you have it.